NEWS

Shadow Spells errata

• 17 Replies

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« on: <09-29-14/1727:21> »
There's several NPCs listed with statblocks. In those statblocks, "Skills" should read "Skills (dicepools)".
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

XyraFhoan

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <09-29-14/2236:19> »
Page 4: Under the Norse tradition. Hiemdall should read Heimdall.

Assuming that the stat blocks are meant to be dice pools and not skill levels...

Page 14: Both Georgette and Flasher have Athletics as a skill group but Gymnastics on its own with a different rating. It makes sense for Running and Swimming to be separate dice pools from Gymnastics, but based on their attributes it's clear that their Gymnastics rating is completely different from the rest of the skill group anyway.

Page 15: Talon Kincaid has another Athletics skill group entry with no separation for the gymnastics skill, which makes either running/swimming or gymnastics an incorrect dice pool.

Page 23: Mana Ebb erroneously states that it cannot be cast in a positive background count area even though it only effects areas with positive background counts.

Page 23: Heightened Concern should probably read "Heightened Concentration".

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #2 on: <09-30-14/0730:49> »
Assuming that the stat blocks are meant to be dice pools and not skill levels...
Given the cap of 12 on skill ratings, it's pretty much a guaranteed thing. ^_^ Good one on Gymnastics vs Running/Swimming, with Agility vs Strength.

A minor note: The Knowledge skills don't list their type, but since they are in the book as default examples that's not gamebreaking. However, editing-wise it'd be a good idea to use the Format used by the PR3 Coppers in SR5 Core, where Knowledge Skills are a separate entry of Skills.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Ruffio

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <09-30-14/1227:51> »
p. 11, Crystalize: As this power only affects living beings, it should be Type: M (according to the definition in SR5, p. 282).

p. 14, Georgette Spineler & Flasher McDaniels: Georgette has 2 PPs, Flasher 1 PP left which could be used for additional adept powers.

p. 17, Magebolt: As this spell only affects living and astral beings, it should be Type: M (according to the definition in SR5, p. 282).

p. 21, Evaporate: It says here that the spell provides a +1 dice pool modifier to Survival Tests in arctic environments. Following the usual rules, I think it should rather be a +1 dice pool modifier per hit on the Spellcasting Test.

p. 22, Petrify: As this spell only affects living beings, it should be Type: M (according to the definition in SR5, p. 282).

p. 24, Rooting: The power provides +1 to the adept’s Physical Limit for Knockdown and a +1 dice pool modifier to any test resisting being knocked down etc. As this is a power with costs per level, I think it should rather be +1 per level.

Ruffio

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <09-30-14/1230:20> »
Another one: The characters presented in the book are all missing their native language skill. One could assume that, due to their histories and/or nationalities, it is always English N, nevertheless it would be nice to have it stated in the stats tables.

Ruffio

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <09-30-14/1243:04> »
All characters with an Astral Initiative have 3D6 Initiative dice, but should have 2D6 (according to tables on pp. 101 & 159, SR5).

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #6 on: <10-01-14/2216:11> »
You get an additional +2d6 in astral space, so their initiative should be correct.
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

Lucean

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <10-02-14/0109:02> »
Ruffio, I think you got it backwards. Manaspells can't affect objects, but that does not mean, that all spells that might be aimed at living beings have to be manaspells. Since we don't have spell building rules we don't know for sure, but you can make spells that are limited in their possible targets.

I think for example Magebolt makes a very fine example of a limited Powerbolt, which has fewer possible targets, but also has its drain reduced by 1.

ElGranAzul

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <10-02-14/0713:14> »
I've found a main difference, but I don't know if its an errata or a change in the game. All traditions remains as in previous versions, but this change a lot:

The Norse tradition now is set as:

Wil+Log, C-Guardian, D-Earth, H-Plant, I-Air, M-Fire;

while in 4th edition it was:

Wil+Cha, C-Guardian, D-Water, H-Fire, I-Air, M-Beast.

I found the last one more related to the tradition. Besides, it's also identical to Islam in stats.
« Last Edit: <10-02-14/0715:33> by ElGranAzul »

Ruffio

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <10-02-14/1220:15> »
Ruffio, I think you got it backwards. Manaspells can't affect objects, but that does not mean, that all spells that might be aimed at living beings have to be manaspells. Since we don't have spell building rules we don't know for sure, but you can make spells that are limited in their possible targets.

I think for example Magebolt makes a very fine example of a limited Powerbolt, which has fewer possible targets, but also has its drain reduced by 1.

Whereas I think it's a very fine example of a limited Manabolt  ;D.

Seriously though: The sidebox on page 282 in SR5 tells us that

Physical spells can affect both living and non-living objects in the physical world.

Since the aforementioned spells do only work against living/astral beings, then they cannot (as per this definition) be Physical spells, but must be Mana spells.

Cheers
Ruffio

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <10-02-14/1443:15> »
Page 282 also says this: "When using Physical spells, the magician converts the channeled mana to energy and/or tangible material in the physical world." Since Crystalize and Petrify transform the target's cells/living tissue, it seems more fitting for them to be Physical. Magebolt does seem like M may be a more appropiate type.

Lucean

• Ace Runner
« Reply #11 on: <10-09-14/0626:52> »
Physical spells can affect both living and non-living objects in the physical world.

Since the aforementioned spells do only work against living/astral beings, then they cannot (as per this definition) be Physical spells, but must be Mana spells.

Cheers
Ruffio
But you do realize that there is a distinct difference between "can effect" and "must affect"? And to add onto this, wouldn't you have to allow the different "Slay" spells to affect any creature, as the definition of Mana spells doesn't distinguish between different types of living beings?
You can't have Manaspells that affect non-living objects, but you are surely able to have Physical spells that have similar restrictions, see Corrode/Melt/Sludge or Ram/Wreck/Demolish from SR4 Street Magic.

Ruffio

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <10-09-14/0911:19> »
But you do realize that there is a distinct difference between "can effect" and "must affect"? And to add onto this, wouldn't you have to allow the different "Slay" spells to affect any creature, as the definition of Mana spells doesn't distinguish between different types of living beings?

To the first question: Hm, maybe, I hadn't thought of that and always read it as a given, not a possibility. I nevertheless maintain my opinion that any spell/power that also affects astral beings must be M (like Magebolt).
To the second question: I actually don't see your point here. First off, that's nothing to do with the M/P discussion itself. Secondly, the question you posed for Mana spells also holds true for the different Ram, Wreck and similar Physical spells, because the definition of Physical spells doesn't distinguish between different types of non-living objects, either.

Cheers

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #13 on: <10-09-14/1251:12> »
I nevertheless maintain my opinion that any spell/power that also affects astral beings must be M (like Magebolt).

This is only partly true.  A physical spell can't be used on the astral plane, after all.  However, a physical spell can still affect a materialized spirit or other astral being.

To the second question: I actually don't see your point here. First off, that's nothing to do with the M/P discussion itself. Secondly, the question you posed for Mana spells also holds true for the different Ram, Wreck and similar Physical spells, because the definition of Physical spells doesn't distinguish between different types of non-living objects, either.

Mana spells have a restriction in that they can only be used on living things, including spirits and the astral plane.  Physical spells don't have any such limitation, other than that they cannot be used on the astral plane.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

xippilli

• Newb
« Reply #14 on: <10-20-14/2018:00> »
The illusion spells in Shadow Spells don't specify whether they are Realistic or Obvious, nor Single-Sense or Multi-Sense.