NEWS

5e Mysadept build (touch/nervestrike/evasion)

• 2 Replies

Shrazkil

• Omae
« on: <09-09-14/1038:44> »
Been finalizing a build idea i had, wanted to get a better feel for some of the rules before i posted, think i got it worked out pretty well. It definitely needs some Karma to get to its full potential, but should be a fun, and interesting concept out of the gate. I wanted something that would make the common practice of "geek the mage first" , regret that decision.I  liked the idea of a massive Punch spell, or a nervestrike while Improved Invis.

Shrazkil
Alias: Sharktooth
Race: Dwarf
Tradition: chaos

Priorities: Magic(mysadept),Stats,Race,Money,Skills

Body:5
Agility: 6
Reaction: 4(6)
Strength: 3
Willpower:6
Logic: 1 (will raise to 2 after first mission or two(had it 2 to start but bumped Cha to 3 instead))
Intuition: 5(9)
Charisma: 3

Qualities: Focused concentration x5
Neg qualities: Insomnia, minor , moderate allergy, gold , Incompetant (firearms)

Power points:
Combat sense (4)
Improved reflexes (2)
Nervestrike
Missle parry (1)
Att. Boost (agility) (1)
Combat sense qi focus (2) unbonded at creation

Spells:
I.Intuition
I.invisibility
I.Willpower
Heal
Punch
Manabolt
Lightning Bolt
Decrease Charisma
Influence
Mana Barrier

Equipment:
unbonded force 4 qi focus (combat sense 2)
Cap. 6 Goggles (wireless vision enhancement 5, flare compensation)
1 Plat, 5 silver credstick
Fake SIN lvl 3
Fake magic liscense lvl 4
Helmet
Armor Jacket (non-conductivity lvl eight)

Contacts: Con/Loy
Fixer 1/6
Talismonger 2/1

Skills:
Unarmed 6 (tai chi +2)
Spellcasting 6 (Healing +2)
Counterspelling 6
Summoning 4
Sneak 1
Perception 3

Vehicle:
Yamaha Growler

Lifestyle:
High 1 month

Starting Nuyen:

So the build basically runs around with perma Improved Intuition, for dodging,drain resist,and Initiative, can keep up improved invis to get around or spy, can buff willpower when fighting other mages to help resist spells, and to be able to go full force on some spells with little chance of taking drain (force 12 punch, 6 drain and 19 resist dice), or pop a mana barrier and get outta dodge. With 19 evasion pool dice right off the bat, should have a hard time getting hit, and that dice will increase to 21 base when qi focus is bonded. While the build is largely just useful for buffing and combat, with alittle perception/invis based spying, he should serve as a great attention drawer, and damage disher. Early karma/equipment purchases are 1 point of logic, beasts way(shark),and bonding with qi focus, as well as buying a force 2 power focus. The rest go to intitiation, and getting at 2 levels of Improved agility, 3 levels of Improved unarmed, and a discounted astral perception.

Obviously , i am going to be hurting in the skill department, but have to give somewhere...
« Last Edit: <09-12-14/1530:34> by Shrazkil »

8-bit

« Reply #1 on: <09-09-14/1217:35> »
I'll look at the rest later when I have more time, but your goals with karma are a little ridiculous.

Going in the order listed, you would first spend 10 Karma getting Logic to 2, then 20 Karma getting Beast's Way, then 8 Karma for Qi Focus, then getting a Power Focus (which I assume you would bond) for 12 Karma, then 3 level of Initiation for (13 + 16 + 19) 48 Karma. That's 98 Karma right there, with 0 put into raising skills. You also have to take Power Point at each initiation instead of some of the more useful metamagics. You're lack of skills along with the inability to raise them according to your plan will leave you pretty far behind most people.

You get approximately 3 - 11 Karma per run. If this is a real life group that meets once a week, then if you get 11 karma per run, you would get it in 9 runs, or 9 weeks. However, I know that most groups don't meet that often, and real life does get in the way. If it's a PbP group, you're looking at an even longer time frame. I'm not saying it's bad to have a plan, but you need something a little more realistic. You are already super stretched in terms of Karma since you are playing a Mystic Adept, possibly the most Karma intensive archetype there is. Ask some of the more experienced players, and most will tell you that characters usually don't last past 150 Karma. On the positive side, in the time you need to get that karma, you should be pretty rich considering your archetype is not gear dependent.

Shrazkil

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <09-09-14/1454:26> »
I'll look at the rest later when I have more time, but your goals with karma are a little ridiculous.

Going in the order listed, you would first spend 10 Karma getting Logic to 2, then 20 Karma getting Beast's Way, then 8 Karma for Qi Focus, then getting a Power Focus (which I assume you would bond) for 12 Karma, then 3 level of Initiation for (13 + 16 + 19) 48 Karma. That's 98 Karma right there, with 0 put into raising skills. You also have to take Power Point at each initiation instead of some of the more useful metamagics. You're lack of skills along with the inability to raise them according to your plan will leave you pretty far behind most people.

You get approximately 3 - 11 Karma per run. If this is a real life group that meets once a week, then if you get 11 karma per run, you would get it in 9 runs, or 9 weeks. However, I know that most groups don't meet that often, and real life does get in the way. If it's a PbP group, you're looking at an even longer time frame. I'm not saying it's bad to have a plan, but you need something a little more realistic. You are already super stretched in terms of Karma since you are playing a Mystic Adept, possibly the most Karma intensive archetype there is. Ask some of the more experienced players, and most will tell you that characters usually don't last past 150 Karma. On the positive side, in the time you need to get that karma, you should be pretty rich considering your archetype is not gear dependent.

Yeah goals for this build are just that, goals. The order I gave are just general big needs, I think this character could stand up to most builds I've seen combat wise.

Beast way is actually gonna cost me 40 karma, I might just consider getting mentor spirit and another level of init. Would be more cost efficient, but liked the flavor. I will certainly be able to sprinkle in some lvl 1 skill groups, and an additional spell or two beyond big priorities, but aside from magic , no stats need to raise , except for one more point of edge. Would like to get spell casting up, but just never going to be able to afford such a costly skill increase. Money wise will need almost nothing besides new fake SINs, and comm links. Maybe some team transport down the road.