Bounty on Toxic Shamans?

• 44 Replies

voydangel

• Omae
  • SR GM since 1990. Damn I'm old.
« Reply #15 on: <11-27-10/1615:36> »
Where is the Foundation anyway?
Here's the Seattle branch

As for whether or not they need a SIM, it'd be a GM thing but I'd insist on at least a fake. After all, the legitimate corporation that is the Draco Foundation needs to account for a million nuyen for tax purposes. They've already spent 15 years drawing interest on it.

Your link is broke.

I think this is what you meant. But I could be wrong.
My tips for new GM's
Unless it is coming from an official source, RAI = "Rules As Imagined."
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4++SR5+++h+b+++B+D382UBIE-RN---DSF-W+m+(o++)gm+MP

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #16 on: <11-27-10/1624:10> »
Dunkelzahn's will is probably one of the most widely read documents in the sixth world. If you were breathing in 2057 you've probably read at least part of it. If your PC went to school during or after that, then they've probably had to read it.

Dragons of the Sixth World has some info on the bounty and how the DF deals with runners.
« Last Edit: <11-27-10/1657:35> by Crimsondude »

Nomad Zophiel

• Omae
  • Zophiel by name. Nomad by profession.
« Reply #17 on: <11-27-10/1651:41> »
Your link is broke.

Fixed both my links. Dunklezahn's Willl, but not the flavor text around it from the book, is available on the SR4 site. See previous link. Its not a secret by any stretch. Everyone from Runners to Megacorps keeps an eye on what has and hasn't been paid off yet.
« Last Edit: <11-27-10/1653:33> by nomadzophiel »

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #18 on: <11-27-10/1655:14> »
My players ran into a blood mage in a game.  They were so mad at him they sicced a pack of Tamanous affiliated ghouls on him, and have decided to run him down for the bounty.

They really, really don't like him.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #19 on: <11-27-10/1658:14> »
Pshaw. Oh, blood mages are fun. They laugh a lot.

Chaemera

• Omae
  • I may be a mouse, but I have a chainsaw.
« Reply #20 on: <11-27-10/1717:51> »
Thanks, Nomad, an article on catalyst's SR4 website may not be a 4e source book, but at least it's something to point to that says people ain't crazy.
SR20A Limited Edition # 124
Obsidian Portal Profile: http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/chaemera

Nomad Zophiel

• Omae
  • Zophiel by name. Nomad by profession.
« Reply #21 on: <11-27-10/1802:11> »
And its something released by the current rightsholder for free, so its easier to get your hands on than an old copy of the book.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #22 on: <11-27-10/1948:05> »
Just to make sure everything's listed out for the book:

Portfolio of a Dragon: Dunkelzahn's Secrets

p. 27 is the listing of the Blood Mage bounty (1 million nuyen - alive).
p. 28 is the listing of the Toxic Shaman bounty (1 million nuyen - alive).
Draco Foundation is discussed on p. 47-49 and p. 60-61. It's headquartered in DC, but has many branch offices.

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #23 on: <11-28-10/1026:22> »
So that your players don't go hunting everyone they think is a blood/toxic mage, remind them the the bounty is only paid for those listed as wanted by the Draco Foundation.
The list is probably available on the Foundations matrix page.
"An it harm none, do what you will"

Unisus

• Newb
« Reply #24 on: <11-28-10/1632:24> »
So that your players don't go hunting everyone they think is a blood/toxic mage, remind them the the bounty is only paid for those listed as wanted by the Draco Foundation.

Actually, there is no such limitation mentioned in the will, as far as i can see.

voydangel

• Omae
  • SR GM since 1990. Damn I'm old.
« Reply #25 on: <11-28-10/1818:55> »

Actually, there is no such limitation mentioned in the will, as far as i can see.

This is correct, there is no list mentioned in the RAW that I can find. The only limiting factor is that they have to turn out to be the real thing. Which, IMO, is one of the reasons why they need to be alive when presented.
My tips for new GM's
Unless it is coming from an official source, RAI = "Rules As Imagined."
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4++SR5+++h+b+++B+D382UBIE-RN---DSF-W+m+(o++)gm+MP

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #26 on: <11-28-10/1821:18> »
Not in the will, but the DF maintains said list so no one can claim just any dead body was a blood or toxic mage as per DotSW p.26. There is no sign on their door marked dead mage storage for people just dropping by. It is suggested you run your hunt by them first.

DotSW says they pay dead or alive. Since Steve Kenson wrote PoaD: DS and the DF chapter I think it's a safe bet that there is no cognizant disconnect in canon.
« Last Edit: <11-28-10/1825:23> by Crimsondude »

Chaemera

• Omae
  • I may be a mouse, but I have a chainsaw.
« Reply #27 on: <11-28-10/1846:20> »
I really only have any experience with SR4, what does DotSW stand for?
SR20A Limited Edition # 124
Obsidian Portal Profile: http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/chaemera

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #28 on: <11-28-10/1848:06> »
Dragons of the Sixth World

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #29 on: <11-28-10/1942:43> »
Here's the quotes regarding Blood Mage/Toxic Shaman hunting in DotSW:

Quote from: DotSW, p. 25
>>>>>[I've got to wonder about some of those too. I mean, Dunkelzahn's will put a bounty on the heads of both blood mages and toxic shamans, dead or alive. How can the UCAS (or any other government) countenance what amounts to the Draco Foundation openly paying for wetworkd?]<<<<<
     -- Tom-Tom

>>>>>[It's a sticky legal issue, to be sure, but remember that you're talking about countries that decide what rights people living in them have based on whether or not they're "registered" citizens or "legal non-entities" (to use one of the more common terms). It's hardly the first time that the UCAS or some other first-world nation has decided that a particular class of "citizens" has no legal rights. After all, several nations still have bounties on ghouls, vampires and numerous other creatures. There have been legal actions filed against the DF, but their crack cadre of lawyers have always gotten them thrown out based on those precedents.]<<<<<
     -- Legal Beagle

>>>>>[I have heard that the DF quietly discourages the active hunting of blood mages and toxics, simply because they don't want people going off and cacking any mage or shaman they meet, then claiming they were into some bad mojo and trying to claim the reward. The Foundation has it's own "most wanted" list apparently and makes it available to those looking to go bounty hunting. Contact them before you decide to take matters into your own hands.]<<<<<
     -- Whisper

Also, DotSW does mention that there are branch offices of the DF in Atlanta, Seatlle, Denver, Hannover (Germany), Hong Kong, London and a couple dozen other locations.

As for the "hunting" of the blood mages and toxics, I'm taking the "dead or alive" with a BIG grain of salt since a) it's in Shadowtalk, which is never reliable and b) the Will itself says that the targets must be alive. I think the DF will turn down ANY attempt to collect on a dead body since they can't determine if the target was using blood/toxic magic without a living aura. Of course, exceptions would be made for those on the Most Wanted list...