NEWS

Stacking Spell Fetishes

• 7 Replies

Ashiguer

• Newb
« on: <11-25-10/0134:36> »
I know it is possible to stack foci, is it possible to stack spell fetishes.  For example, combining a combat spell fetish and a manipulation spell fetish into one piece of equipment (such as a single wand) and using the stacked fetish to cast limited spells from either manipulation or combat that are bound to that particular fetish.

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <11-25-10/0143:00> »
I don't think there anythink like that in the rules, but you can quite easily get the same effec/lookt by following the Horvath's example from The Sorcerer's Apprentice and get those fetishes as rings that you affix to your wand.

Also you need one fetish for each limited spell you have.
"An it harm none, do what you will"

voydangel

• Omae
  • SR GM since 1990. Damn I'm old.
« Reply #2 on: <11-25-10/0252:48> »
As far as fetishes go, there are no RAW that I could find that state one way or the other if you can have multiple fetishes linked to the same spell.
It does state that each spell must have it's own fetish, however it is unclear whether 1 item can serve as the fetish for more than 1 spell.
If I were the GM, I would rule only 1 fetish per spell, and only 1 spell per fetish, but that's just my 2¥

EDIT: As a side note, I suppose you could use the rules for stacking foci (as you mentioned - pg.84 Street magic) with fetishes, but that would be a GM call since I assume it would probably require some house rulings on costs and multipliers etc.
« Last Edit: <11-25-10/0259:53> by voydangel »
My tips for new GM's
Unless it is coming from an official source, RAI = "Rules As Imagined."
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4++SR5+++h+b+++B+D382UBIE-RN---DSF-W+m+(o++)gm+MP

Ashiguer

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <11-25-10/1536:00> »
Voydangel, I thought any number of spells could be bound to a single fetish, as long as the spell's category and the fetish category both matched, for example, binding both a Lightning Bolt and Power Ball to the same combat spell fetish.

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <11-25-10/1552:01> »
Voydangel, I thought any number of spells could be bound to a single fetish, as long as the spell's category and the fetish category both matched, for example, binding both a Lightning Bolt and Power Ball to the same combat spell fetish.
What gave you that idea, the whole section on limited spell is worded singularly, as a spell and its fetish.
Also multiple spells linked to same fetish would make blood fetishes totally OP.
one point of "permanent" physical damge for +4 drain dice for all of my combat spells, oh yes please :o
"An it harm none, do what you will"

Chaemera

• Omae
  • I may be a mouse, but I have a chainsaw.
« Reply #5 on: <11-25-10/1631:34> »
Quote from:  SR4A, pg. 182, Limited Spells
When learning a spell, a magician may choose to accept limitations on her ability to cast that spell. In exchange, the magician will have an easier time resisting the drain caused by the limited spell. These limi- tations on spellcasting come in the form of fetishes—reusable objects with minor enchantments appropriate to the magician’s tradition.
     Fetishes are available for sale from talismongers or other magi- cians, and are made for a specific category of spells (combat, detection, and so on). A given fetish can only be used for spells of that category. When the spell is learned, it is attuned to that particular fetish.
     Fetishes are available for sale from talismongers or other magi- cians, and are made for a specific category of spells (combat, detection, and so on). A given fetish can only be used for spells of that category. When the spell is learned, it is attuned to that particular fetish.
     A magician cannot cast a limited spell without the fetish touch- ing her body. If the fetish is lost, a new one must be tracked down and re-attuned to both the magician and the spell (requiring an Intuition + Magic [5, 1 hour] Extended Test). For examples of items used as fetishes, see Foci, p. 199.
     When casting a spell attuned to the fetish, the magician gains +2 dice to resist Drain from casting that spell.

This is the only section I can find which speaks to any relationship between # of spells per # of Fetishes and it seems pretty clear that it is a singular / plural (rather than singular / singular) relationship in the second sentence of the third paragraph (underlined). Meaning that a fetish for a given category of spells can be attuned to any number of spells from that category. The underlined statement in the last sentence further reinforces the idea of multiple spells for one fetish, "a spell attuned to the fetish", not "the spell".

However, if you lose that one fetish, you can't use any of those spells until you find that one fetish. Or obtain a new fetish and attune yourself, and each spell, to the new fetish. By my reading of paragraph 4, that'll be 1 hour of your life, per spell attuned.

On Blood Fetishes, judging from the above, you have to attune the fetish per limited spell. That means that if you've got 5 combat spells, you have 5 boxes unhealable physical damage, by my reading. I'll grant you, this is subject to individual GM interpretation. Additionally, it's rather vague about the bit on "while the blood fetish is attached". I'm interpreting that to mean you install the fetish into your body, you remove it, it's no longer attuned and would have to be re-attuned, re-inflicting the damage.

EDIT to add quote from Digital Grimoire.
Quote from:  Digital Grimoire, og. 14, Blood Magic Enchantments
Attuning a blood fetish requires a simple, 10 minute ritual that inflicts 1 box of unresisted physical damage that cannot be healed while the blood fetish is attached.

Never mind how difficult it should be to get one of these things if you aren't making it yourself, I'm well aware it's only "10F", but generally, tempting powers of evil should come with strings attached in my book. And more than just some physical damage. Blood mages should either be hunting you down or trying to recruit you.
« Last Edit: <11-25-10/1635:49> by Chaemera »
SR20A Limited Edition # 124
Obsidian Portal Profile: http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/chaemera

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <11-26-10/1841:55> »
Ok, well, entirely different meaning of fetish, I see.

Ahem.  Moving along.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Ashiguer

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <11-27-10/0034:57> »
Thanks for the input, I guess if its to be done in game, we'll have to wing it.