NEWS

Canon questions for the CGL team

• 9 Replies

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« on: <11-12-10/1244:09> »
I'm starting this topic to get a few answers from the CGL team. I'm currently trying to patch a city-setting for SR4 together, namely, the TriCity free zone, Poland. I need a few official answers to do this, so:

1. Is TriCity (Trójmiast, Gdańsk+Sopot+Gdynia) still a 'free zone', or has it been reclaimed by Poland? This is the most important question i have, as the answer could turn my work inside out. :P

2. What's the current state of Poland? Is it still divided into two parts?

3. What should i take into account while building the setting? Any important worldwide events, like the Tempo affair from Ghost Cartels?

P.S. If anyone else can answer before i get an official one, i qon't mind. :P Also, feel free to use this thread for your own questions.
Mariusz "Kot" Butrykowski
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #1 on: <11-12-10/1257:42> »
Not an answer to your question but it is not likely that an official answer will be given by CatLabs. From other forums for other games. You might get pointed into the right direction, but problems have been known to pop up what an "Official" answer is given. I'm just sayin' don't hold yer breath. How ever there are some very knowedgable players here who can help I'm sure.

Welcome to the forum Kot! ;)
Yeah, I'm A Minotaur! You Gotta Beef with that?
I'm a Minotaur not a bully!
I studied at the Rocky Mountain Culinary School.I specialized in Seafood.
My Dad worked out of el Toro In New Mexico.

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #2 on: <11-12-10/1316:00> »
Well, thanks. I'm just tying to get it right, so i won't go against some of the existing canon. And i hope i can get a deciding voice, so my work won't get labeled as non-canon. And it's a bit of a foothold to shake the polish SR community. Though they're already crawling in the severs looking for metahuman flesh. It's been too long since SR was abandoned in Poland - we had a few books from FASA's 2nd edition...
I've heard there won't be anything about Poland in Sixth World Almanac. <sigh>
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #3 on: <11-12-10/1319:24> »
There hasn't been any published material on Poland since Shadows of Europe. I don't know if anyone from CatLabs will give us any insight (see Usda's post), so you might want to just make it how you want.

The Sixth World Almanac only lists some historical entries on Poland, nothing new.

BIG BAD BEESTE

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <11-12-10/1544:32> »
Yep, the Shadows of Europe project was pretty much the most detailed look into that continent's various countries. Poland was definately covered therein. I know firsthand that most of the contributors/writers for that sourcebook actually hailed from those respective countries, so you can count on a high level of "authenticity" in their viewpoint/desscriptions.

Most of the chapters for the countries that hadn't been previously covered/detailed by the FASA-era writers originally started out as fan-contribution drafts that eventually got greenlighted by the "official" Shadowrun developers at FanPro and turned into said sourcebook. So, for the most in tune/accurate continuity on that country you could track down the original author(s) and pick their brains as to what they intended with the drafts.

Otherwise, do what we did - take what has previously been written and develop it onwards in your own unique vision. Remember that as a GM its your world (and word) that counts.

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #5 on: <11-12-10/1610:40> »
Otherwise, do what we did - take what has previously been written and develop it onwards in your own unique vision. Remember that as a GM its your world (and word) that counts.
I could, bu that's more of a fan-project, not something i do for myself. I doubt i can use it in the near future, but i'm hoping to create a part of SR Poland, that'd motivate others to do their parts...

And, i really want to know CGL team's opinion on TriCity - if it should be a free zone, or return to the Motherland. ;P
I can work with both at this stage, but free zone would be a lot better for setting purposes - no obvious authority besides the corps involved, and such. Plus the tensions created by separatists who want to stay 'independent' standing against patriots, who want TriCity to return to Poland.

P.S. I'm thinking to stick a dragon in there somwhere. A 'common' dragon, not a great one.

EDIT: I've just got info on my questions, it seems. There's stuff in System Failure, and someone was nice enough to give me a summary of it. :)
« Last Edit: <11-12-10/1916:08> by Kot »

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #6 on: <11-12-10/1944:17> »
And, i really want to know CGL team's opinion on TriCity - if it should be a free zone, or return to the Motherland. ;P
I can work with both at this stage, but free zone would be a lot better for setting purposes - no obvious authority besides the corps involved, and such. Plus the tensions created by separatists who want to stay 'independent' standing against patriots, who want TriCity to return to Poland.
Then go with free zone.  Even if, in a five years or something, someone tells us freelancers it's time to update Poland and one of us dusts off some books and we have the time to focus setting-specific books there...no one's going to kick in your door and shoot you and erase experience points from character sheets because you were "wrong."

If the more recent books don't specify either way, and you'd prefer it be a free zone, go free zone!  It's your game, man, if running it that way is going to mean you tell a better story and your players have more fun, go for it!  :)

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #7 on: <11-13-10/0614:45> »
Then go with free zone.  Even if, in a five years or something, someone tells us freelancers it's time to update Poland and one of us dusts off some books and we have the time to focus setting-specific books there...no one's going to kick in your door and shoot you and erase experience points from character sheets because you were "wrong."
In System Failure there's apparently a mention that it's still a free zone. And that Poland was liberated shortly after the second Crash. Thanks for the info, people. :)

P.S. If you ever do anything involving Poland, you know where to find me. And there are some people from SR PL community that would love to help too. :P
« Last Edit: <11-13-10/0616:21> by Kot »

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #8 on: <11-13-10/0946:21> »
Ooo... good catch Kot! I forgot about that piece in System Failure.

Here's the general information on what happened:

Quote from: System Failure, p. 115
     The events surrounding the Final Strike settle the Polish Civil War, bringing significant changes to Poland as described in Shadows of Europe. The National Republic of Poland is gone; President Rybinski and other officials are either in exile or underground, plotting to bring the new government down. The new United Republic of Poland is modeled after the Free Republic; the country’s leadership is idealistic but too close to S-K to keep its hands clean. Lofwyr wants to turn Poland into a “modern” corp state, a shining example of what S-K can do for its allies—a tempting proposal, since the life of Poles will definitively improve even if they lose some independence in the process.

That last bit about S-K got me thinking...

Quote from: Corporate Guide, p. 157
Stanislaw Wiacek
     Stanislaw Wiacek served as Polish Minister of State and Saeder‑Krupp’s chief undercover meddler in the Polish Civil War (2061–2065) until the recent liberation of Poland (aided by Saeder‑Krupp, of course).
     Since then, Wiacek has been keeping a low profile due to his involvement with the former Russian-installed Rybinski regime. But that has not kept him from consolidating Saeder‑Krupp’s economic influence and assets in Warsaw, Krakow, and the Malopolska Free Trade Zone. He is also rumored to be overseeing all Eastern European corporations, working closely with political manipulator Julian Sergetti to extend Saeder‑Krupp’s influence in the Baltic States, Belarus, and Ukraine, and counterbalancing Evo’s and NeoNET’s growing influence in Central Asia by throwing Saeder‑Krupp support behind the regional development pact, the Philike Hetairia (Friendly Society).

Poland is actually brought up quite frequently in Corporate Guide, mostly as the Power Players are trying to stamp a claim on the country as their own.

AND, after that bit, I decided to do some scans of my PDFs. I give you:

Quote from: Runner Havens, p. 130
> Their proposal might fall on open ears. Since the end of the Polish Civil War, the Kapers (Polish pirates) are being increasingly pressed to hand the vital Tricity port back to Poland. While Koenigsberg remains observant, both Tallinn and Riga, who have been brushed off by the NEEC Council of Ministers often enough, are willing to join such an alliance. I am not sure about free-for-alls like Kronstadt and the Scandinavian Ship City, though. I don’t think that the Russian anarchists will get involved in such an alliance at the present stage, unless S-K or Evo is starting to put the screws on them.
> Traveler Jones

Ta-Da! The Tricity is still a Free Zone, at least for now (Feb 3 2070, 04:03).

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #9 on: <11-14-10/0715:11> »
That last bit about S-K got me thinking...
A great theme for Poland. We always end up ears deep in something unpleasant. :P
Last time Poland was liberated, the cost of freedom was freedom itself. Looks like in SR 4ed the history will repeat itself... Again.

Poland is actually brought up quite frequently in Corporate Guide, mostly as the Power Players are trying to stamp a claim on the country as their own.
Which is both predictable and a good base for more shadowruns. Good. :)

Ta-Da! The Tricity is still a Free Zone, at least for now (Feb 3 2070, 04:03).
And the Kapers (in polish the plural form is 'kaprzy' :P) are still in power. I need to adjust my setting base.
Looks like the Balitc Sea went toxic-carribean.

Thanks again for your help. :)