4A 254 for Nausea, 255 for Pepper Punch
Nausea: Nausea is a catch-all term that covers pain, panic, vomiting,
double vision, and other toxin effects. If the Power of an attack
after the Toxin Resistance Test exceeds the target’s Willpower, she is
incapacitated (unable to take any actions) with vomiting and dizziness
for 3 Combat Turns. Whether or not a character is incapacitated,
nausea doubles all of a character’s wound modifiers for 10 minutes. A
nauseated character with 3 boxes of damage (a –1 wound modifier),
for example, suffers –2 dice on all tests instead.

Bradd

• Omae
« Reply #46 on: <11-19-10/1723:22> »
Oh sorry, I meant: Where's the rule that says you don't suffer electricity effects unless you suffer damage? I know there's such a rule in D&D3, but I hadn't seen anything like it in SR.

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #47 on: <11-19-10/1737:27> »
I haven't seen an explicit rule regarding the elemental effects.  However, there are explicit rules regarding contact style effects, such as toxins and fire elemental effects.  For toxin effects, complete protection (chem suit and armor with sealing) is provided even with an injector style attack.  If completely soaked, the injection toxin has no effect because it never breached the defense of the target.

Similar effects come from the fire resistance armor addon.  Fire effects have a chance to ignite the target, unless the target is incombustible.  This can be achieved with appropriate gear (fire resistant or retardant gear).  If a fire attack is resisted, then the target does not ignite.

Both of these attacks are contact style attacks (fire doesn't have any "force" to it, per se, it just needs to get on you).  Complete or near complete isolation provides protection.  While there is no explicit rule stating this, electrical attacks that fail to breach the protection of a suit outfitted with resistance should be ignored for the disorientation effects.

However, this means that the armor has to resist all the electrical damage.  If even a single point gets through, I would say there may be a chance of the disorientation effect.  Of course, individual GM's may not be that nit-picky, and simply count the fact that electrical resistance was there as the opportunity to resist the effect.  Note that this isn't spelled out in the book, but is an interpretation of the rules.  As such, expect arguments regarding this.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Chaemera

• Omae
  • I may be a mouse, but I have a chainsaw.
« Reply #48 on: <11-19-10/1757:46> »
Oh sorry, I meant: Where's the rule that says you don't suffer electricity effects unless you suffer damage? I know there's such a rule in D&D3, but I hadn't seen anything like it in SR.

Interpret how you will, I can see both ways:

Quote from:  SR4A, pg. 164, Electricity damage
A successful Electricity damage attack can stun and incapacitate the target as well. The struck target must make a Body + Willpower (3) Test. Apply half the character's Impact armor (round down) and any other dice pool modifiers as noted above to this test. If the target fails, he immediately falls and is incapacitated for a number of Combat Turns equal to 2 + net hits scored on the attack test. Even if the target succeeds, he suffers a -2 dice pool modifier to all action tests due to disorientation from the shock for the same period.
Emphasis mine.

Yes, it uses the word damage, however, it could as easily be using the term "electricity damage" because that's (1) the section title and (2) the official term for referencing the type of attack. Is success the application of damage, or the act of hitting? Due to the way the term "electricity damage" is used throughout the book, I wouldn't try to tell you which is the intent.
SR20A Limited Edition # 124
Obsidian Portal Profile: http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/chaemera

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #49 on: <11-19-10/1803:40> »
Which is why it's a bit up in the air.  An errata or official ruling on such would quiet things down, but such things are only "official" rules anyway.  Many will use it however they want.

Which is just fine.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Nomad Zophiel

• Omae
  • Zophiel by name. Nomad by profession.
« Reply #50 on: <11-19-10/1847:03> »
I haven't seen an explicit rule regarding the elemental effects.  However, there are explicit rules regarding contact style effects, such as toxins and fire elemental effects.  For toxin effects, complete protection (chem suit and armor with sealing) is provided even with an injector style attack.  If completely soaked, the injection toxin has no effect because it never breached the defense of the target.

Depends on the toxin. Gas is blocked by a gas mask and/or sealed suit for contact versions. The Super Squirt is blocked only by a fully sealed suit and the dart guns do no damage, per se. They inject toxins if the attacker gets two net hits on the Ranged Combat Opposed (ie dodge) test.

I would agree that SNS and most other things have to do at least 1S/1P in order to deliver their special effect, though.

Chaemera

• Omae
« Reply #51 on: <11-19-10/1853:43> »

Depends on the toxin. Gas is blocked by a gas mask and/or sealed suit for contact versions. The Super Squirt is blocked only by a fully sealed suit and the dart guns do no damage, per se. They inject toxins if the attacker gets two net hits on the Ranged Combat Opposed (ie dodge) test.

I would agree that SNS and most other things have to do at least 1S/1P in order to deliver their special effect, though.

Not trying to disagree on SNS from a rules perspective, but I find it funny that the explicit point of a taser is supposed to be that it uses the skin effect to do no actual damage to the person, simply induce muscle convulsions. So an accurate representation of a RL modern taser would deal 0S(e) with no net hits applied to damage. It'd be purely the secondary effect. At least, if tasers worked as designed.

Nomad Zophiel

• Omae
  • Zophiel by name. Nomad by profession.
« Reply #52 on: <11-19-10/1916:08> »
Well, "designed to" and "do" are two different things. Its entirely possible to render someone unconscious or dead with a taser under the proper circumstances. I think its fair to say that someone getting zapped by one is going to be a little wobbly until they have a chance to rest a bit (ie stun damage).

Chaemera

• Omae
« Reply #53 on: <11-19-10/1936:17> »
agreed, just something I find funny.