NEWS

Power throw adept power and Throw Menuver

• 25 Replies

Chaemera

• Omae
  • I may be a mouse, but I have a chainsaw.
« Reply #15 on: <11-12-10/1357:03> »
Okay, that gives you damage (BOD)S resisted by C if hit by B, but the consider that the Throw maneuver doesn't actually grant you an attack, by the RAW, distance thrown is specifically independant of the table (result of the Opposed Strength + Unarmed checks, if you somehow get 10 net hits, you throw him 10 meters, even if your (STR-BOD)/2 (whose strength, whose body?) limit is 3.

That general rule, in a table, at the GM's discretion (see the 1st line, second paragraph of your quote) is directly contradicted by the specific rules for the Throw maneuver. As a GM, the only interpretation that results in consistent rules is specific trumps general.

In general, the table on p. 19-20 provides ranges and damage for a creature thrown as an improvised weapon using the Throwing Weapons skill. Nothing, on pg. 19-20 references you to the Throw maneuver, any more than anything in the Throw maneuver references you to pg. 19 - 20.

Yeah, it makes good sense to use this table, but, as we've all seen, good sense /= RAW and the Throw power doesn't use a Thrown Weapons test.

These two bits are in the same book, if they don't reference each other, there's a reason.
SR20A Limited Edition # 124
Obsidian Portal Profile: http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/chaemera

Jeeves

• Chummer
« Reply #16 on: <11-15-10/1045:23> »
"5: B flies 4 meters in a direction left interestingly undetermined by the RAW *shrug*. Guess the player gets to choose, though a picky GM might say that B must travel past A (A can't throw B back, since A is using B's momentum against him)."

I would disagree in the case of a practitioner using Aikido. Aikido is about circular momentum. you can deffinitely throw someone back the way they came.

I don't know how to do the fancy qupte-from-the-book thing, but this is from page 156 of Arsenal

"Aikido (Judo, Jujutsu)
A “soft form” martial art designed for defense, Aikido
emphasizes circular movements that turn an attacker’s strength
against him."

I am by no means an expert in Aikido, but i bractised it for a bit, and yes, with the right throw, you can thro someone right back the way they came.

also, i kinda dissagree with the word "soft" in the description, because there is nothing soft about being thrown to the ground.

I talked to my GM, and he said that he'd allow the man-thrower. he also said that since i have to successfully parry or block the attack he'd allow counterstrike to be added to the throw roll.

This is gonna be great.

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #17 on: <11-15-10/1326:17> »
I think "soft" in this case means that it isn't specifically meant for direct strikes, more turning the opponents momentum against him.

Of course, hitting a stone floor/wall/statue at a speed greater than you walked up to the guy with would definately dissuade one from thinking the martial art was "soft."
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #18 on: <11-15-10/1346:30> »
I think "soft" in this case means that it isn't specifically meant for direct strikes, more turning the opponents momentum against him.
+1

Wikipedia's got a good discussion on the difference.

It's not about what you're doing to your opponent, but rather how you're meeting his attacks. A "hard" technique pits your strength against his--hammer to anvil. A "soft" technique is focused on using his energy against him--sword through water.

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #19 on: <11-15-10/1352:51> »
Also, I would think that a full size body would do more damage to a barrier than 1 DV.  Given the strength of some barriers, even hucking a troll into them isn't going to budge them, but a plate glass window or a standard door is probably going to fail catastrophicly.
There is no overkill.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #20 on: <11-15-10/1358:21> »
Well, you do add the net hits to the DV as well. Of course, have you ever been slammed against a door? Trust me a standard door is still pretty strong. You only need 6 hits to go through a door made of cheap material. Not too shabby...

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #21 on: <11-15-10/1359:39> »
I have, in fact, been slammed up against a door.  I have even hurled someone through a door, accidently.  It doesn't require a lot of effort, which makes me think the 1 DV is kind of low.
There is no overkill.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #22 on: <11-15-10/1423:01> »
Okay, but did you break through the door or did the lock break allowing the door to swing open? Or it came off the hinges?

Remember, the barrier rules are there for creating a hole within the barrier.

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #23 on: <11-15-10/1509:59> »
Through the door, making a hole.  The door opened the other way (toward us).  It only took a small shift of my 6' 4" frame to do it.

That's what you get for rough-housing.
There is no overkill.

voydangel

• Omae
  • SR GM since 1990. Damn I'm old.
« Reply #24 on: <11-15-10/1654:23> »
Yea, I once had a semi-humorous incident with my cousin and a throw rug. We were rough housing and I did an aikido ground throw which should have put him on the ground like 2 feet from me and been funny. Except I failed to notice the throwrug on the linoleum floor and he landed on it and went sailing across the floor like he was on a bobsled and his head made a nice 18" head shaped (roundish) hole in the door to the next room. He had to get stitches and I felt really bad, but in retrospect it was pretty damn funny. Like something out of a movie.
My tips for new GM's
Unless it is coming from an official source, RAI = "Rules As Imagined."
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4++SR5+++h+b+++B+D382UBIE-RN---DSF-W+m+(o++)gm+MP

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #25 on: <11-15-10/2353:47> »
An injury that doesn't kill you or permanently disable you is slapstick.

Slapstick is hilarious.
There is no overkill.