NEWS

Shadowrun 5 Errata

• 560 Replies

Strill

• Newb
« Reply #420 on: <12-14-16/1208:50> »
Guidance spirits have the Divining power, but don't have the Ritual Spellcasting skill they need to use it.

Agonar

• Omae
« Reply #421 on: <12-19-16/0130:27> »
Was there ever a clear-up as to the type of action meant to issue a command for Control Thoughts spell?

Quote from: SR5 Core book, Page 293
The magician mentally gives commands with a Standard Action, and the target is compelled to obey as if it were his own idea.

Control Actions specifies a Complex Action needed to issue the command, which makes a little sense I guess since you use your own skills to make him do things.. is Control Thoughts/Mob Mind meant to only need a Simple Action, since you only implant the thought, and they obey in their own manner?
GM of the Relative Dimension, Actual Play Podcast
www.relativedimension.com

Chummer 5 is Alive

• Omae
« Reply #422 on: <12-26-16/1025:20> »
The description for Headware (SR5 451), states that the ware is normally installed in the head, but can be installed into cyberlimbs. Is it intentional that you can put, say, an olfactory booster in your hand, or was this supposed to be a reminder of how capacity works, and it can only be installed into a cyberskull?

Sterling

• Omae
  • Dragged in by the credstick
« Reply #423 on: <12-26-16/1329:46> »
The description for Headware (SR5 451), states that the ware is normally installed in the head, but can be installed into cyberlimbs. Is it intentional that you can put, say, an olfactory booster in your hand, or was this supposed to be a reminder of how capacity works, and it can only be installed into a cyberskull?

I'm using the latest reprint - The Master Index Edition.  It states on p. 451 that items with a capacity cost may be installed into cyberlimbs instead.  The chart on p. 453 has the essence and (where appropriate) capacity costs.  The olfactory booster in your example does not have a capacity cost, so may not be installed into cyberlimbs.
"His name is Sterling. He’s an ex-pat Brit making a living as a fixer and a hacker in Metropole. He’s a rare blend of upstanding and fun...(so) listen to his experience."
>>Data Trails, p.82

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #424 on: <12-26-16/1618:18> »

I'm using the latest reprint - The Master Index Edition.  It states on p. 451 that items with a capacity cost may be installed into cyberlimbs instead.  The chart on p. 453 has the essence and (where appropriate) capacity costs.  The olfactory booster in your example does not have a capacity cost, so may not be installed into cyberlimbs.

It says that in the original print also. The text says:
Items that have a Capacity Cost [in brackets] may
be installed in cyberlimbs instead, costing Capacity
rather than Essence.

And Sterling is right, the olfactory booster doesn't have a capacity cost, so it doesn't qualify.

Was there ever a clear-up as to the type of action meant to issue a command for Control Thoughts spell?

Quote from: SR5 Core book, Page 293
The magician mentally gives commands with a Standard Action, and the target is compelled to obey as if it were his own idea.

Control Actions specifies a Complex Action needed to issue the command, which makes a little sense I guess since you use your own skills to make him do things.. is Control Thoughts/Mob Mind meant to only need a Simple Action, since you only implant the thought, and they obey in their own manner?

The text for Control Thoughts should likely say Simple Action. The term Standard Action has slipped into the vernacular for a lot of gamers. I can't think of a situation where someone has used Standard to mean something other than Simple and vice-versa.

And yes, the two spells require different actions. Control Actions takes a Complex Action to "make the target perform any action" while Control Thoughts is a Simple Action to "mentally give command"

Chummer 5 is Alive

• Omae
« Reply #425 on: <12-26-16/2122:27> »
Sorry, didn't phrase that properly. What I meant to ask is, is it intentional that headware with a capacity cost can be installed in all kinds of cyberlimbs rather than just the cyberskull?

Sir_Prometheus

• Omae
« Reply #426 on: <12-28-16/1453:07> »
Since most of them are just computer bits (and decks won't even fit in cyber skulls) I'm pretty sure yes.

Finstersang

• Omae
« Reply #427 on: <01-09-17/1214:46> »
I´m almost afraid to ask, but:

What happened to the errata process? Last official post was almost 2 months ago. Anyone still on it?
Or has official Errata (just as, let´s face it, the TM sourcebook) once again died miserably behind the shrouds of NDA?

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #428 on: <01-09-17/2302:56> »
It is still in progress, though paused slightly while Patrick Goodman was working on a project for another game. He last mentioned it HERE.

This sort of thing is bound to happen when the errata committee is made up of volunteers and unpaid. Patrick still needs to do work to pay the bills after all.

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #429 on: <01-10-17/0240:01> »
As do the rest of us on the team as well.  It may be slow for now, but things should be picking up again soon.
Would you want to go into a place where the resident had a drum-fed shotgun and can see in the dark?

Finstersang

• Omae
« Reply #430 on: <01-10-17/0709:44> »
Thanks, missed that one   :D

Quatar

• Omae
« Reply #431 on: <01-10-17/2011:01> »
Just saw this today:

page 184 CRB has multiple references to the "Infiltration skill" which is not an actual skill.

Also, how do "Missiles" differ from "Rockets"? They have sensors (unlike rockets), so I assume they use the rules from that page. But is there a point to using Active Targeting with them at all? They're area attacks, so the target doesn't get a defense roll anyway, so a penalty to a non existing roll is kinda pointless.

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #432 on: <01-11-17/0227:37> »
I'd assume it'd apply to the Interrupt Action to avoid explosions.  But that's an assumption.
Would you want to go into a place where the resident had a drum-fed shotgun and can see in the dark?

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #433 on: <01-11-17/0505:55> »
I don't think it has anything to do with the interrupt action to run away. First, because that action still doesn't have a roll involved, and second, because it wasn't printed until Run & Gun, while missiles/rockets are in the Core book...

However, I think it might be that Missile/Rockets are meant to still be dodged. Missiles and Rockets usually explode on impact, and personally, I think Rockets are generally slower than bullets. If you can dodge a bullet in the SR rules, why not a rocket?

Thinking conceptually, it seems pretty standard for a rocket/missile fired at a plane, and then have the pilot pull off some maneuver to try and shake the rocket. That's a thing, right?

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #434 on: <01-11-17/0533:30> »
I don't think it has anything to do with the interrupt action to run away. First, because that action still doesn't have a roll involved, and second, because it wasn't printed until Run & Gun, while missiles/rockets are in the Core book...

However, I think it might be that Missile/Rockets are meant to still be dodged. Missiles and Rockets usually explode on impact, and personally, I think Rockets are generally slower than bullets. If you can dodge a bullet in the SR rules, why not a rocket?

Thinking conceptually, it seems pretty standard for a rocket/missile fired at a plane, and then have the pilot pull off some maneuver to try and shake the rocket. That's a thing, right?

Keep in mind you are still talking about several hundred kilometers per hour flight speed (and RPG travels at around 860kmph!).

the major difference between rockets and missiles is indirect fire.

Rockets can only travel in a direct line to the target, so you need a clear flight path to the thing getting the shit blown out of it :P
Missiles on the other hand... well, they can follow a sensor reading, be that a radar, heat sig, laser guidance, RFID tag... so you can be several blocks over, with 3 building between you and STILL blow the shit out of something.

Which makes rockets' the "idiots" weapon of choice (Idiot here referring to a lack of useable skills), while Missiles are the smart Riggers' weapon of choice (as they can use a drone to find the target, then shoot the missile off from cover). Also makes Missiles the more expensive choice.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.