NEWS

Runner's Black Book

• 19 Replies

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #15 on: <09-30-11/1327:05> »
Also, I want to echo what Critias said here.  This isn't supposed to be a punishment, or even a reward. 

Runners Black Book is a bit of an experiment.  When the PDF stuff was initially conceived, there were no plans to put the material in hardcopy.  Heck, no one knew how they would sell, even as cheaper PDF only products.

However, they sold pretty decently, but the question kept getting asked "is there a way to get this material in hardcopy?"  There are a lot of fans who don't really do PDF products, either because they don't personally care for the format, or more often because they don't have a convenient way to take and use the books in their local game or prefer to have a physical copy they can pass around (If a book gets dropped or something spilled on it, it's not a total loss and can be fairly easily replaced.  A laptop or a tablet computer tend to be much more expensive and have a harder time surviving a spill or drop).

So CGL decided to put out a hardcopy collection of the gear PDFs to see how well they sell.  Now, honestly, Hardcopy, full color...  While it looks nice, that may have been a mistake, because it makes the book significantly more expensive.  But, it's a pretty book, so there is taht.  But, knowing that a lot of folks had already bought the PDFs, CGL decided to add a little bit of new material (Which boils down to 8 weapons, some cleaned up/new/colorized art, and a little extra shadow commentary).  This was simply as an incentive for folks who'd already purchased the books in PDF to feel like if they purchased the Hardcopy, thre was a little something new to make it worth their while. 

The big thing here is taht this is an experiment.  if sales justify it, we may be able to do more books like this in the future.  I'd love, for example, to be able to have a hardcopy collection of Missions Season 4 down the line.  And there are some more cool PDF products in the pipeline taht would be cool to see collected later on.

Bull

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #16 on: <09-30-11/1611:59> »
So, heads up folks:  That PDF you buy today might be collected in a group of stuff in DTF later.  It's the "Extra Only In DTF" that's getting me at this point, that's all.  Not everyone is able to get DTF copies of the books easily, and I'm trying to think of the community as a whole.  :(

As I said, I get almost everything in PDF/DTF if I can (Some I get in PDF only as I doubt I'll ever use it in game) but want it to read, and PDF is cheaper.  I'm on a budget, so I have to make my RPG-Dollar stretch.  :(
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #17 on: <09-30-11/1841:09> »
Honestly, I don't see what all the fuss is. The Black Book has 6-7 extra weapons and comments from Nightfire. Have we become so enamoured with the idea that we are entitled to everything exactly how we want it that 7 pages of bonus material in a book makes people so upset they feel the need to complain about it?

I bought each and every PDF as they were released. When the book was announced, I held off buying it until I could look it over and see if it was worth it. I decided it was and bought it.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #18 on: <09-30-11/1845:45> »
Please be careful with the use of "Entitled" around me.

But, yeah, it does seem kind of petty.  Still irks me, however.  Can't help feeling like that for some reason.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Phylos Fett

• Omae
  • Kind-of A Freelancer...
« Reply #19 on: <09-30-11/2036:21> »
I'd love, for example, to be able to have a hardcopy collection of Missions Season 4 down the line.  And there are some more cool PDF products in the pipeline taht would be cool to see collected later on.

I think that'd be a nice thing to have, too.