NEWS

[5eOoC] 2075/6: Stormy Waters [Persistent World; recruitment always open]

• 5046 Replies

obidancer

• Omae
« Reply #4680 on: <12-02-16/1708:44> »
Haha, should have read OOC post first. That's exactly what I posted in IC, if Astral is everywhere, the Mana Barrier would actually look solid. And that's without counting everyone noticing someone casting near the formerly blind bride.
Rick Deckard - Circles of Fate
Kachina - Shaking the Shadows

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4681 on: <12-05-16/0321:16> »
Just noticed: We assumed we had gotten everything in place during the week, but never specified who is going to conduct the wedding. So who do we have as holy man/woman to ask the hard questions in front of the altar?
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4682 on: <12-05-16/0749:27> »
Didn't I mutter something about a maverick priest in one of my ICs?  I know I meant to!  Assume it's covered!!!
Excel Cha Generators <<CG5.26>> & <CG6.xx> v36

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4683 on: <12-05-16/0816:33> »
I think I'll call him Pater Griffin, who is a double chinned, overweight Irishman  ;)
talk think matrix

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4684 on: <12-05-16/0820:53> »
Tu be sure tu be sure...argh, don't expect a very good Irish accent, even written... this will definitely have to be 'suspension of disbelief'  ::)

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4685 on: <12-05-16/0910:04> »
"Whale oil beef hugged." It's quite easy   ;D (Not that I'm qualified to distinguish any English dialects/accents)
talk think matrix

Sakuro

• Newb
« Reply #4686 on: <12-05-16/1420:13> »
Mercy Merchant has accepted a character of mine for their Tangled Currents game. I put up a section on the OS page: Annex. I am also dropping it in here as well.

Annex (Drevin Langly)

Alias: Annex (call sign), Oliver Crest (R4), Joseph Kent (R1)
Race: Human
Sex: Male
Nationality: California Free State
Lifestyle: Middle
Karma Spent: 50/51
Music: Drevin's Play List
Physical Description: Standing just shy of two meters, Drevin is an athletically built man with sky blue eyes and light brown hair cut short with only a little sideburn. Generally he has a relaxed stance that at the same time projects confidence. His skin is light, but has enough color to suggest he spends some time outside rather than locked up in an office all day. He has a classically American look with angular facial features and squared jawline. Drevin also speaks with a slight Sacramento accent, suggesting his origins in the CFS. For clothes Drevin favors dark colors. Jeans or something with leg coverage rather than shorts and coats or jackets to cover a t-shirt. He also favors boots rather than shoes. Given that he has had good medical care Drevin does not have any noteworthy scars or other distinguishing marks, including tattoos.
Background Drevin was born in Silicon Valley, within a corporate enclave. His parents, David and Mary, were both loyal employees of Ares Macro Technologies and he was groomed for advancement from an early age. As a child he was both reserved and in contrast a rough and tumble sort of boy who did not seem to know how to hold back. Roughhousing turned to conflicts with his peers and his busy but caring parents turned to a juvenile corpsec training academy, a military school by old world standards. Their hope was that he would be able to gain some discipline there, as well as make connections for the future. Both hopes came true.

At the age of twelve he met another cadet, Jacob O'Niel. The two became fast friends and while their career paths diverged in the future, Jacob entering the sales division of Ares Arms while Drevin became part of Knight Errant, their fortunes rose together as they supported each other's advancement. Drevin took well to the academy, for the most part. He had a minor alpha complex, and sometimes found it difficult to not be in charge of a situation. At the same time he respected authority figures. A talented youth, Drevin was freshman cadet to be assigned to First Team, the academies elites. By his second year in First Team Drevin was the squad's captain and lead them to victory in the yearly inter-academy war games. For three consecutive years.

During his final year at the academy Drevin came under the tutelage of Vincent Belfast, a senior officer in the Knight Errant. The man remained a mentor to Drevin for some time, and with his sponsorship entered the Knight Errant after he graduated from the academy. After basic training Drevin hit the ground running and entered the world of corporate security. His first day wasn't supposed to be anything special. In fact Drevin got the impression that because of his parents and his connection to Vincent that he was being assigned the safest availed posting. It was a shit storm. The warehouse he was watching was hit by a a gang tricked into attacking the warehouse by a team of Shadowrunners as part of a distraction. After dealing with the gangers Drevin realized what was going on and his squad were able to intercept the 'runners as they were making their extraction.

Drevin was not given any more easy jobs or hand holding after that. His career was one of special response and tactical teams and as he developed, he was moved around more. Being used where needed rather than remaining tied down to one city. It made forming lasting relationships beyond his squad difficult in many ways. Yes, there was the Matrix, but Drevin's experiences grounded him very much in the meat world. In time Vincent was talking about bringing Drevin into the upper echelons of Knight Errant. Things wee going well. Until they went bad.

A NeoNET executive had gotten kidnapped while slumming in a brothel. Negotiations were not working. The corp was unwilling to give the kidnappers what they wanted. As a result Drevin and his team were sent into to extract him. It started off well enough. They snuck into the building their target was being held in and made for the evac point. But the NeoNET executive was hysterical. He muttered about nanites. Then without warning attacked Drevin's people. The man wasn't human anymore. He was too strong. Took too many bullets unarmored to be human. He was cold too, as he killed Drevin's entire team. Drevin put him down though. Unfortunately the image of a Knight Errant officer killing a NeoNET executive was caught on camera.

To protect him, and shield the company from fallout his superiors made if look like he died with the rest of his team. That meant he couldn't be Drevin Langly anymore, and his SIN was erased. Knight Errant set Drevin up with a fake SIN and made Jacob O'Niel, the only contact with his old life that he was able to maintain, his point of contact with Ares. Living under the alias of Oliver Crest he relocated to Seattle. It seemed like a good place to get lost in the crowd of humanity. Drevin did not acclimate to civilian life well and has begun taking jobs where he can make use of his skillset.

Drevin's introduction to the shadows was actually through a freelance decker that he used while working for Knight Errant: Hexadecimal. Hex short. While he had rarely seen the shadowy cybercriminal in person Drevin was able to make contact and get some feelers on the shadow community. He is still new to the new 'runner culture and as of yet only has a few runs to his name. One of which was ... weird ... and involved a shipment of Shiawase I-Dolls, prostitution, and drug smuggling. That is actually where he acquired his sidekick, Sevras. Somehow during a ruckus the I-Doll's identification system designated Drevin as it's owner and it began following him throughout the mission. The other 'runners got a laugh out of it until their medic was shot down and Sevras's medical autosoft kicked in allowing the drone to tend to the wounded. Drevin kept it and has since grown fond of the machine, more so than most people.

Presently Drevin is working out a plan to make something of his new situation in the shadows. He can't run forever.

Attributes

BodyAgilityReactionStrength
CharismaIntuitionLogicWillpower
EdgeMagic/ResonanceEssenceInitiative
5N/a68+1d6

Positive Qualities
XXXXX
Negative Qualities
Allergy (Cilantro, Common/Mild) * +10 Karma
Phobia (Snakes, Uncommon/Mild) * +5 Karma
Emotional Attachment (I-Doll) * +5 Karma

Active Skills
Influence Skill Group5
Automatics6
Automotive Mechanic3
First Aid1
Gymnastics2
Heavy Weapons2
Intimidation5
Perception4
Pilot Ground Craft3
Pistols6
Sneak4
Swimming1
Unarmed5
Knowledge Skills ( [Logic + Intuition] x 3 free points)
Ares Macrotechnology5
Cars and Motorcycles3
Corporate Security5
Small Unit Tactics6
Language Skills
EnglishN
XXXXXXXXXX

Cyber/Bioware
CyberwareEssenceCostNotes
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX¥XXXXX

Gear (235¥ + 4d6x100)
Lined Coat900¥
Armored Jacket1,000¥
   Nonconductivity (5)1,250¥
   Fire Resistance (6)1,500¥
Balistic Mask150¥
   Trodes70¥
   Low-light Vision500¥
   Headwear Sensor Housing (3)300¥
      Ultrasound
      Motion Sensor
      Olfactory Scanner
Knucks100¥
Ares Alpha2,500¥
   Gas-Vent System (3)600¥
   Shock Pad50¥
   Imaging Scope300¥
x2 Assault Rifle Spare Clip10¥
x500 Assault Rifle Regular Ammo1,000¥
x500 Assault Rifle Gel Rounds1,250¥
x6 Flashbang600¥
x6 Frag Grenade600¥
Ares Predator V725¥
   Supressor500¥
x2 Pistol Spare Clip10¥
x500 Pistol Regular Ammo1,000¥
x500 Pistol Gel Round1,250¥
Concealable Holster150¥
Fake SIN (4)10,000¥
   Fake License, Ares Predator V (4)800¥
   Concealed Carry License (4)800¥
   Drone License (4)800¥
Fake SIN (1)2,500¥
   Fake License, Ares Predator V (1)200¥
   Concealed Carry License (1)200¥
   Drone License (1)200¥
Contacts (3)600¥
   Image Link25¥
   Smarklink2,000¥
   Flare Compensation250¥
Ear Buds (3)150¥
   Spatial Recognizer1,000¥
   Audio Enhancement (1)500¥
Respirator (6)3,000¥
Medkit (6)1,500¥
   x2 Medkit Supplies200¥
Transys Avalon Commlink5,000¥
x5 Metalink500¥
Flashlight25¥
Subvocal Mic50¥
Trodes70¥
Jammer, area (4)800¥
Middle Lifestyle5,000¥
Automotive Mechanic Kit500¥
XXXXXXXXXX¥

Vehicles

Hyundai Shin-Hyung
HandlingAccelSpeedPilotBodyArmorSensorAvailabilityCost
5/43611062-28,500¥
   Manual Operation500¥
   Morphing Liscense Plate1,000¥
   Spoof Chip 500¥
   x4 Run Flat Tires1,000¥
   Anti-Theft System (2)1,000¥

Shiawase I-Doll: "Sevras"
HandlingAccelSpeedPilotBodyArmorSensorAvailabilityCost
51343(2)04420,000¥
   Personality100¥
   Pilot (4)3,200¥
   Sensor 3-->44,000¥
   Realistic Features (3)9,000¥
   x2 Medicine Cyberlimb Optimization4,000¥
   Handling 3-->55,400¥, 1 Mod Point
   First Aid (4) Autosoft2,000¥
   Medicine (4) Autosoft2,000¥
   Clearsight (4) Autosoft2,000¥
   Stealth (4) Autosoft2,000¥
   Manuvering (4) Autosoft2,000¥
   Ares Predator V (4) Targeting Autosoft2,000¥
   Cooking (3) AutosoftStandard
   Virtual Machine80¥

Contacts
ContactC/L
Jacob O'Niel (Ares Arms sales)3/4
Danny Malik (Mechanic)1/2
Hexadecimal (Decker)2/3

[spoiler]
KARMA EXENDITURES:

Swimming 1(2 Karma)
Gymanstics 2 (6 Karma)
Automotive Mechanic 2 (6 Karma)
Small Unit Tactics 5-->6 (6 Karma)
Intuition 2-->3(15 Karma)
Logic 2-->3(15 Karma)
+1 karma for character stats on OP
+1 karma for physical description
+1 karma for character image
+3 karma for background

PRIORITIES
Attributes: A
Skills: B
Nuyen: C
Metatype: D
MAgic: E[/spoiler]

« Last Edit: <12-17-16/0734:37> by Sakuro »

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4687 on: <12-09-16/0429:55> »
@Fellow GMs

Need a second, or third, opinion:

situation: being chased by dog pack plus a spirit that has caused Fear. I've always taken the power to represent blind unreasoning panic and don't allow any actions other than Full Def. But would you allow the PC to take any actions? Attack the dogs but not the spirit?

Thanks

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4688 on: <12-09-16/0521:16> »
Looking at the text of the Critter Power:
Fear
Type: M Action: Complex
Range: LOS Duration: Special
This power gives a critter the power to fill its victims with overwhelming terror. The victim flees in panic and doesn’t stop until he is safely away and out of the critter’s sight. The critter makes an Opposed Test using its Willpower + Magic against the target’s Willpower + Logic.
The terror lasts for 1 Combat Turn per net hit scored by the critter. Even once the fear fades, the target must succeed in a Willpower + Logic (critter’s net hits) Test to gather the nerve to face the critter again.

It's only the spirit they have to flee from without attacking. The dogs are fair game (just because you are in panic doesn't mean you won't defend or attack anything that would prevent you from fleeing - rather the contrary)
talk think matrix

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4689 on: <12-09-16/0539:06> »
It's the 'doesn't stop' bit that makes me think turning back to face the dogs isn't possible!? Sure, if they get in front I can see an argument for attacking them, but SR melee combat isn't meant to be a single blow ...?!

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4690 on: <12-09-16/0615:28> »
I won't say it's good tactic to run and shoot behind you, but it is possible. Just as it is feasible to drop a grenade behind you and run on.  ;)
talk think matrix

adamu

« Reply #4691 on: <12-09-16/0713:00> »
I agree with both of you guys.

The Fear critter power is not just "got really scared", it's a debilitating effect - once the dice have been resolved, and resistance failed, it can no more be shrugged off due to circumstance than a Power Bolt.

So must run or, if blocked, cower away from the Critter. Cannot attack it.

But as Jack says, others are fair game, provided you can fight them without (1) stopping running and (2) doing much higher thinking. But fighting doesn't require a lot of deep thought from Shark adept, and the rules clearly offer mods for doing things while running....

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4692 on: <12-09-16/1019:18> »
But what if the person is a mage with the shapechange spell?  I think I would allow him to use that spell to change into something that would allow him to flee.  Is casting spells strictly prohibited when running in terror?
"Speech"  *Thought*  <Matrix>

Stuttrboy

• Omae
« Reply #4693 on: <12-09-16/1040:02> »
Annex appears to be over the 24 points for attributes in case in you didnt notice.
Life is a hideous thing, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous. --H. P. Lovecraft

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4694 on: <12-09-16/1042:51> »
I'd say it's a case by case question. Instinctively throwing a fire ball - very well possible. Using Mindcontrol to get a bystander to attack your pursuer - probably not.

As a rule of thumb I'd say you can use spells that your mentor spirit favors and enhances. You can fluff that as "a higher power watches out for you and helps you subconsciously"
talk think matrix