NEWS

[SR5] Removing cultured bioware

• 23 Replies

Lucean

• Ace Runner
« Reply #15 on: <01-28-16/1541:45> »
Runners are not critters, so that part about regeneration does not apply:

SR5 p. 392
“Critter” is a catch-all term that refers to all the non-human creatures that characters might encounter as they ply their trades in the shadows.

Marcus Gideon

• Omae
  • Certainly not a Technomancer...
« Reply #16 on: <01-28-16/1701:22> »
Just like Whiskeyjack said though, specific trumps general.

The blurb you quoted about Critters are creatures the characters may encounter... is a general statement.

When your character becomes a Vampire (for example), all the Critter rules for a Vampire will apply. That would include your inherent Regeneration attempting to expel all of your implants (as noted in Run Faster when it says only Deltaware has a chance of remaining unless you take immunosuppressants.
The Matrix is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it when you look out your window or when you turn on your television. You can feel it when you go to work…when you go to church…when you pay your taxes.

El Diablo

• Newb
« Reply #17 on: <01-28-16/1738:59> »
Runners are not critters, so that part about regeneration does not apply:

SR5 p. 392
“Critter” is a catch-all term that refers to all the non-human creatures that characters might encounter as they ply their trades in the shadows.

"Effect: This mixture grants the critter power of Regeneration"

For what it matters, you're the critter when talking about Regeneration. Otherwise, most Runners would not benefit from the Immortal Flower at all, specially when Regeneration opens with "This power allows rapid healing of any damage a critter has taken." Why cherry pick what can benefit the Runner? It's not like it's giving back limbs.
Booyah!

Lucean

• Ace Runner
« Reply #18 on: <01-29-16/0246:43> »
Just like Whiskeyjack said though, specific trumps general.

The blurb you quoted about Critters are creatures the characters may encounter... is a general statement.

When your character becomes a Vampire (for example), all the Critter rules for a Vampire will apply. That would include your inherent Regeneration attempting to expel all of your implants (as noted in Run Faster when it says only Deltaware has a chance of remaining unless you take immunosuppressants.

So because of the rules for Natural Weapon a character with Astral Perception who could only use Astral Combat against astral beings can use Unarmed Combat by becoming infected?
What is the difference between the two that they use different skills and two different attributes for damage (CHA vs STR)?

Shaidar

• Omae
« Reply #19 on: <01-22-18/0619:53> »
... Or the book where it appears? ...

Streets of Blood, Nosferatu, or Black Madonna.

The Troll in question was a friend of Serrin Shamandar, who was the central character of the above 3 novels published in the 1990's. These may have been re-released in the Legends series.

But there is literally zero explanation for the incident.

Spooky

• Omae
  • If you run, you'll only die tired.
« Reply #20 on: <01-22-18/1512:16> »
Actually, the Troll Shaman in question was being possessed by a **very** powerful spirit, and it was that possession that forced the cyber out of his body. The spirit was also kind enough to restore his magic rating along with his essence. Of course, once the spirit departed, the shaman was kinda useless for a while, because he was checking out the new internal roadmap.
Spooky, what do you do this pass? Shoot him with my thunderstruck gauss rifle. (Rolls)  8 hits. Does that blow his head off?

Rooks

• Omae
« Reply #21 on: <01-23-18/0412:29> »
Im pretty sure turn to goo does the same thing I recall a run the Red Samurai showed up with a cyberzombie
GM mage your up what do you?
Mage I cast turn to goo on the cyber zombie
GM well Drek

TLDR: anyone in the market for some slightly used cyberlimbs? :D

Rosa

• Omae
« Reply #22 on: <01-23-18/1124:49> »
The novel in question was Nosferatu,  and Tom the troll shaman only appears in that one novel. The whole thing has a very GM's Fiat about it and that's how I would handle it in a game. Also everything in SR has a cost,  so while I would come up with a way to make it happen if a player really wanted to,  I would make sure that there was a cost attached preferably one that gave some extra plot opportunities down the line, just like becoming infected to get rid of ware is its own cost.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #23 on: <01-23-18/2243:11> »
Novels are not always the best source for trying to suss out rules for a table top game, as writers have... "creative license" when writing.

Case in point: a dragon killed by a light machine gun. (can we say "bounces off dragon's hardened armor"??)
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.